Welcome to the P&C
Being part of a school like Normanhurst Boys High School is a privilege. Our sons have access to quality teaching, diverse extracurricular activities plus opportunities to develop leadership and other skills that will serve them well beyond the school gate.
The purpose of the NBHS P&C Association is simple: to work side by side with the staff of NBHS to achieve the best possible school experience for our sons.
We do this by:
1. Representing the interests of the parent body.
Over this year, the P&C has hosted discussions where the school has sought parent input on new or updated initiatives including;
- The 2018-2020 school plan;
- Student welfare and anti-bullying policies;
- Student leadership recognition programs; and
- Communication and Community Engagement programs.
The P&C also provides parent representatives on interview panels for senior teaching positions and at Selective Schools selections committees.
2. Aiding and supporting school activities inside and outside the classroom.
Each year the school raises money from parents to assist with expenses that are, simply, not covered by the government. This year the P&C has contributed to a number of school projects including;
- Major upgrades to the school library;
- Purchase of textbook and other school resources;
- Support for the Robotics team to take part in extra-curricular competitions;
- Grounds enhancements;
- Debating coaching and Gifted & Talented programs; and
- Sports venue hire and referees;
At a parent level, the P&C has also invested in an online second hand uniform exchange and in providing additional student insurance for trauma events.
3. Providing a community amongst parents and with the school
Because NBHS draws from a wide area, it is sometimes hard to get to know other parents or the teachers with whom our sons spend so much time. The P&C offers opportunities to get to know others and the staff of the school through activities such as
- P&C information nights, where school leaders or head teachers present on special interest topics;
- Grounds days each term where parents, students and school leaders come together to weed, clear and plant to maintain the natural woodland feel of the school grounds;
- Canteen support, providing healthy and fresh food for both students and teachers, plus a chance to get to know other volunteers; and
- Light refreshments and drinks at most school events, allowing parents to meet and talk with each other and with teachers present.
We encourage all parents not only to contribute financially to the P&C, but also to get involved, so we can keep improving the educational opportunities and outcomes for our sons.
For more information, please contact secretary@nbhsPandC.asn.au
The canteen at Normanhurst Boys High School is open every school day for recess and lunch, as well as before school for some breakfast items and to take lunch orders. A small supply of stationery is kept in stock, including calculators.
To ensure all the food is prepared on time, and most importantly that the boys can be served at the counter on time, the canteen relies on parent volunteers. Our roster is a work-in-progress with regular changes as most of us lead busy lives. New volunteers are always welcome any time of year, so give it a try!
Contributing to the Parents and Citizen’s Association
Financial contributions to the P&C are very welcome and contribute towards the holistic education provided for our students.
The following payment methods are available:
Please make payable to Normanhurst Boys High School P&C
Cheques are to be delivered to the school office or posted to the school clearly marked to the attention of the P&C Treasurer.
Please transfer funds to:
Account Number: 1001 4089
Account Name: Normanhurst Boys High School Parents and Citizens Association
Please add student name to the description and send a brief email to treasurer@nbhsPandC.asn.au to provide additional information, e.g. Payment for grounds contribution.
Any questions, please contact us via treasurer@nbhsPandC.asn.au
Thank you to everyone that assists at our Grounds Days.
Grounds Days for 2018:
- Saturday March 19th, 2018
- Sunday June 3rd, 2018
- Sunday August 26th, 2018
- Saturday November 10th, 2018
What we do
At Grounds days, we do a mix of weeding, planting new plants, re-mulching and generally tidying and improving the school grounds.
The Grounds Day is usually a prompt start at 9 am. It is helpful if you can be there by 9 am, because we will give everyone a briefing before we start and it is good to talk to everyone, if possible all at the same time.
On the Grounds Days you are ALLOWED to drive past the Do Not Enter Sign inside the Fraser Road Gate and park your car inside the school grounds, parking in the Teachers Parking places, anywhere EXCEPT THE VISITORS PARKING, as this is where we work on most Grounds Days and your car will need to be out of the way for continuing with the grounds work.
Please be advised that the meeting place through the Fraser Road Gate is in front of the visitor’s Reception at the Office.
Attendance Sheet Sign on
When you arrive, you will need to sign the attendance sheet, so that you are registered as a volunteer for the day. Remember, you will need to sign on when you start and finish for the day (to ensure that you are insured).
Tools and Equipment
If you have these items it would be good for you to bring along, please write your family name on each item.
- Bags or buckets to put weeds in
- Brooms (cleaning leaves and concreted areas)
- Gardening gloves
- Hat and sunscreen
- Kneeling pad if you need one
- Rakes – preferably metal (spreading mulch)
- Secateurs for trimming vegetation
- Shovels, crow bars and mattocks (planting trees)
- Solid footwear (shoes or boots, not sandals) and appropriate clothing (it could even be sunny)
- Trowels and weeding implements
- Wheelbarrow, if you have one (transporting mulch or weeds)
Refreshments and Break
Water bottles are provided to prevent dehydration while you work and morning tea is provided at around 10:30am by the school.
We will finish around 12:00 noon. (If you need to go earlier, we will appreciate whatever time you can put in).
Looking forward to seeing you!
Grounds Day Co-ordinators
For more information, please contact grounds@nbhsPandC.asn.au