Welcome to the P&C
Being part of a school like Normanhurst Boys High School is a privilege. Our sons have access to quality teaching, diverse extracurricular activities plus opportunities to develop leadership and other skills that will serve them well beyond the school gate.
The purpose of the NBHS P&C Association is simple: to work side by side with the staff of NBHS to achieve the best possible school experience for our sons.
We do this by:
1. Representing the interests of the parent body.
Over this year, the P&C has hosted discussions where the school has sought parent input on new or updated initiatives including;
- The 2018-2020 school plan;
- Student welfare and anti-bullying policies;
- Student leadership recognition programs; and
- Communication and Community Engagement programs.
The P&C also provides parent representatives on interview panels for senior teaching positions and at Selective Schools selections committees.
2. Aiding and supporting school activities inside and outside the classroom.
Each year the school raises money from parents to assist with expenses that are, simply, not covered by the government. This year the P&C has contributed to a number of school projects including;
- Major upgrades to the school library;
- Purchase of textbook and other school resources;
- Support for the Robotics team to take part in extra-curricular competitions;
- Grounds enhancements;
- Debating coaching and Gifted & Talented programs; and
- Sports venue hire and referees;
At a parent level, the P&C has also invested in an online second hand uniform exchange and in providing additional student insurance for trauma events.
3. Providing a community amongst parents and with the school
Because NBHS draws from a wide area, it is sometimes hard to get to know other parents or the teachers with whom our sons spend so much time. The P&C offers opportunities to get to know others and the staff of the school through activities such as
- P&C information nights, where school leaders or head teachers present on special interest topics;
- Grounds days each term where parents, students and school leaders come together to weed, clear and plant to maintain the natural woodland feel of the school grounds;
- Canteen support, providing healthy and fresh food for both students and teachers, plus a chance to get to know other volunteers; and
- Light refreshments and drinks at most school events, allowing parents to meet and talk with each other and with teachers present.
We encourage all parents not only to contribute financially to the P&C, but also to get involved, so we can keep improving the educational opportunities and outcomes for our sons.
For more information, please contact secretary@nbhsPandC.asn.au
The canteen at Normanhurst Boys High School is open every school day for recess and lunch, as well as before school for some breakfast items and to take lunch orders. A small supply of stationery is kept in stock, including calculators.
To ensure all the food is prepared on time, and most importantly that the boys can be served at the counter on time, the canteen relies on parent volunteers. Our roster is a work-in-progress with regular changes as most of us lead busy lives. New volunteers are always welcome any time of year, so give it a try!
Contributing to the Parents and Citizen’s Association
Financial contributions to the P&C are very welcome and contribute towards the holistic education provided for our students.
The following payment methods are available:
Please make payable to Normanhurst Boys High School P&C
Cheques are to be delivered to the school office or posted to the school clearly marked to the attention of the P&C Treasurer.
Please transfer funds to:
Account Number: 1001 4089
Account Name: Normanhurst Boys High School Parents and Citizens Association
Please add student name to the description and send a brief email to treasurer@nbhsPandC.asn.au to provide additional information, e.g. Payment for grounds contribution.
Any questions, please contact us via treasurer@nbhsPandC.asn.au
The Functions group of the P&C help out throughout the year at various events that the school, teachers and students have organised. The aim is to make each function a little more pleasant and relaxed by organising refreshments so that we can keep our minds on the activities that we have come to take an interest in for our sons while at the same time giving us all a little chance to catch up with other parents, staff and students. The P&C wants to provide this support, so that the teachers and staff can concentrate on their job at hand and to make everyone’s life a little easier.
We supply refreshments such as tea and coffee through to morning tea for High Achievers. We would also like to thank the Canteen for their assistance as through the year they support us in heating of food and supplying food and supplies on request making the job so much easier. Function times vary from morning tea and afternoon tea to evening functions for parent teacher nights or Year meetings. If you think you would like to help out we would love to add you to our list of people we may be able to call on to help. Just sent us an e-mail with some contact details and any preference for timing to email@example.com
We cater for the following:
- Evening Year Talks (e.g subject selection nights)
- Special Morning and Afternoon teas
- Parent Teacher nights
- P&C meetings
- High Achievers function
- Year 7 Student Induction
The P&C acts as a link between the school and the community, by providing information in both directions, and tries to ensure that families feel welcomed into the school community, and have opportunities to participate in and contribute to their son’s education. Comments about how we can improve our communication and our support of the School and the families are always welcome. Please feel free to use this site to find out more about our organisation and the school. For more information, please contact secretary@nbhsPandC.asn.au.
P&C Grounds Days
Thank you to everyone that assists at our Grounds Days.
- Saturday March 9th
- Sunday June 2rd
- Sunday August 25th
- Saturday November 16th
- Saturday, 7th March, 2020
- Sunday, 31st May, 2020
- Sunday, 23rd August, 2020
- Saturday, 14th November, 2020
Your contribution to Grounds Days
What we do
At Grounds days, we do a mix of weeding, planting new plants, re-mulching and generally tidying and improving the school grounds.
Activities on Grounds Days
The Grounds Day is usually a prompt start at 9 am and generally finishes at midday.
It is helpful if you can be there by 9 am, because we will give everyone a briefing before we start and it is good to talk to everyone, if possible all at the same time.
Parking is permitted in the Staff Parking Area on Grounds Days. However, please do not part in the designated Visitor Parking spaces, as we will be weeding and mulching this area and need access for the trailers and wheelbarrows.
The meeting place will be at the shaded/covered area outside the Hall, accessed through Gate 1 (Fraser Road vehicular entrance).
Attendance Sheet Sign on
When you arrive, you will need to sign the attendance sheet, so that you are registered as a volunteer for the day. Remember, you will need to sign on when you start and finish for the day (to ensure that you are insured).
Tools and Equipment
If you have these items it would be good for you to bring along, please write your family name on each item.
- Buckets for carrying your small tools or for small watering jobs
- Brooms (cleaning leaves, spilt mulch from concreted areas)
- Gardening gloves
- Hat and sunscreen
- Kneeling pad if you need one
- Rakes – preferably metal (spreading mulch)
- Secateurs for trimming vegetation
- Shovels, crow bars and mattocks (planting trees)
- Solid footwear (shoes or boots, not sandals) and appropriate clothing (it could even be sunny)
- Trowels and weeding implements
- Wheelbarrow, if you have one (transporting mulch or weeds)
Refreshments and Break
Bottles of water are provided to prevent dehydration while you work and morning tea is provided at around 10:30am by the school.
We will finish around 12:00 noon. (If you need to go earlier, we will appreciate whatever time you can put in).
Looking forward to seeing you!
For more information, please contact Ms Julie Crouch (NBHS P&C Grounds Coordinator) through grounds@nbhsPandC.asn.au